Weird: Drive refused to mount on my Mac

Mac and iPod Support for Mac OS X, Mac software, hardware, iTunes, and related peripherals.
Sandals >>> Amazon Link - You're OK, I'm OK. Sandals are OK. <<<
Keef
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

Weird: Drive refused to mount on my Mac

Post by Keef »

Bought one of these a few days ago:

Plugged it into my Mac to format it. The green LED on the drive lit up, but nothing else happened. The drive didn't show up on the desktop. Surprising, because usually PC-formatted drives will appear on the desktop. I've done it a thousand times.

So after checking/changing the USB connection several times, I opened Disk Utility. WTF? The drive didn't show up there, either. Image

I Googled and Googled and Googled and Googled. Every troubleshooting page I read said that if the Seagate Expansion would not mount on your Mac desktop, to open up Disk Utility, and find the drive there. Well, like I said, I already tried that, and Disk Utility did not show the Seagate. The drive also wouldn't show up in Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, or any other Mac hard drive utility.

Several websites said that this was a Leopard problem, and that the drive would mount in Tiger. So I dug out my old G4 with Tiger on it, and tried again. No dice.

I was this close to taking the drive back to FRYS, when I stumbled across a general troubleshooting page about difficult–to–mount drives on a Mac. It suggested formatting the drive IN WINDOWS, using a Windows utility for Mac drives, suitably called MacDrive. They have a free trial period.

I launched Windows XP via Parallels, and the INSTANT I launched MacDrive, the drive immediately appeared on my Mac's desktop. I didn't even do anything in MacDrive, I just launched it. I switched back to Disk Utility, and lo and behold, there was the new Seagate drive. I formatted it for my Mac, and it's been running great ever since.

Same drive, same computer, same USB ports. Total nightmare on the Mac, blink-and-you'll-miss-it ease in Windows.

:roll:
“If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.”
~ John Waters ~

MAC7331

Re: Weird: Drive refused to mount on my Mac

Post by MAC7331 »

Glad you got it sorted. Hopefully this may help anyone who runs into a similar problem.

Is that a notebook drive? Does it have the two usb cables? I have a drive with two cables and it seems to work with just one pugged in. Always wondered if it was dangerous to use only one. I'm assuming the second one is for additional power.
♣︎

Keef
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Keef »

MAC7331 wrote:Glad you got it sorted. Hopefully this may help anyone who runs into a similar problem.
Thanks, Leet. That's pretty much why I posted it – I couldn't find any info about this problem online, not even at Seagate's website.
MAC7331 wrote:Is that a notebook drive?1 Does it have the two usb cables?2 I have a drive with two cables and it seems to work with just one pugged in.3 Always wondered if it was dangerous to use only one.4 I'm assuming the second one is for additional power.5
  1. It's marketed as a "portable" drive. The very short USB cord seems best suited to notebook usage, though.
  2. No, just a single.
  3. They're supposed to be like that.
  4. No, not at all.
  5. Yes, the second one is for additional power. Some computers have very weak power from their USB ports.
“If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.”
~ John Waters ~

MAC7331

Post by MAC7331 »

No, thank you.
Keef wrote:It's marketed as a "portable" drive. The very short USB cord seems best suited to notebook usage, though.
2.5" drive, I should have asked?
♣︎

max

Post by max »

I have seen that happen before, even with USB drives.
Why? I have no idea, after awhile I dont even question it...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken

silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Could be worse. I formatted a client's 640GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA drive that was installed in an external case. Picked MBR and tried to format as NTFS from my Ubuntu 9.10 netbook. Failed to format. Weird. Tried FAT32 and everything worked okay. Tested the drive on my Ubuntu netbook and my iBook G4 running Leopard. No problem. Gave the drive to my client and she couldn't get it to mount on her brand new Windows 7 Home Premium HP laptop when she got home. Weird right?

After about twenty minutes of scatter shot fruitless testing (try rebooting, try logging into another account, maybe you need the second USB connection on the Y cable to be plugged in, do you see the light or hear the drive spinning, etc.) I finally have my client navigate to Disk Management. Aha! The problem? The freaking drive was completely unrecognized by Windows. Talked the client through the formatting procedure over the phone. Hour of free troubleshooting service because Windows wouldn't recognize the drive that two different OSes had no problem with. I still have no idea what went wrong.

Nathan

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Drives are so strange. I don't have a drive manufacturer preference, never have. They all do weird shit, then die.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic