PC Laptop

cccc

PC Laptop

Post by cccc »

Need to help a friend buy a pc laptop, I have no idea where to start.
What brands to look for, what brands to avoid and so on and so forth...?

She works in a supporting role in the legal field, she has teamed up with some others and they are about to go out on their own.
So money is definitely one of the concerns for her.
My concern is that I don't end up getting calls every afternoon about this doesn't work and that is stuck, this computer is slow and so on and on and on...bla bla bla

I tried to talk her into getting a Mac, but she won't/can't, she has some special "law office" software that will only work on the PC, she did show me their site and they do say only "Vista" (I think that is the name of the MS OS), thatplus the other partners in the venture are already set on using that specific software package.

My inclination is to tell her to buy just any cheap laptop, see how things work out, if the business takes off, then invest a little more in a better system...or can she right away get a decent laptop for not too much money?

So anyone here have any ideas, other than "send her to Best Buy let her worry about it herself"?

TIA
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
max

Re: PC Laptop

Post by max »

cccc wrote:Need to help a friend buy a pc laptop, I have no idea where to start.
What brands to look for, what brands to avoid and so on and so forth...?

She works in a supporting role in the legal field, she has teamed up with some others and they are about to go out on their own.
So money is definitely one of the concerns for her.
My concern is that I don't end up getting calls every afternoon about this doesn't work and that is stuck, this computer is slow and so on and on and on...bla bla bla

I tried to talk her into getting a Mac, but she won't/can't, she has some special "law office" software that will only work on the PC, she did show me their site and they do say only "Vista" (I think that is the name of the MS OS), thatplus the other partners in the venture are already set on using that specific software package.

My inclination is to tell her to buy just any cheap laptop, see how things work out, if the business takes off, then invest a little more in a better system...or can she right away get a decent laptop for not too much money?

So anyone here have any ideas, other than "send her to Best Buy let her worry about it herself"?

TIA
The most serious technical question is:
are you banging her?....
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken
Pops

Post by Pops »

...because sight unseen, we all know that max would do her.
"Are you more amazed at how things changed
Or how they stayed the same"

"75 Septembers', by Cheryl Wheeler
sung by Peter, Paul & Mary
cccc

Post by cccc »

If you provide some useful answers to my original question,
we'll talk about your interests in the success and well being of this industrious young lady.

Btw the place she currently works has represented plenty an employer against your worst nightmare the organized workers,
but she's sick of the injustices she has seen, and they are going to "the other side" as it may be (the individuals that get caught between these two extremes in the American job landscape).

Still feel like helping? Or you just wanna make smart ass remarks?
I was hoping for the first part when I posted the question.
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
rtwdwk

Post by rtwdwk »

I would still go for a Mac, Run it in Boot Camp for work with Windows.
Mac for non work activity.
If you want to go the PC route, I have had good luck with the Sony Vio's
They look good, otherwise all the current PC out there are generic. I just did a build for a friend with a Toshiba.
Good for one with the latest processors. i5 or i7
Comandante Batuta

Post by Comandante Batuta »

If she HAS to have a PC, the best brands are Lenovo & the higher Dell models, if you ask me... I could not recommend specifics, because of the high turnover rate of these Brands...

With Lenovo, there is the risk of delivery delays...
"I lived in Seattle for 8 years, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an ex MS employee." Matt™
max

Post by max »

cccc wrote:If you provide some useful answers to my original question,
we'll talk about your interests in the success and well being of this industrious young lady.

Btw the place she currently works has represented plenty an employer against your worst nightmare the organized workers,
but she's sick of the injustices she has seen, and they are going to "the other side" as it may be (the individuals that get caught between these two extremes in the American job landscape).

Still feel like helping? Or you just wanna make smart ass remarks?
I was hoping for the first part when I posted the question.
It was a very pertinent question.
If you are not, walk away, direct her to a Big Box, do not even drive her there.
Otherwise you will be the responsible for all the technical questions and problems that go with it.
I am not well versed about PC technical questions, I gather neither are you.
If you are not doing her, there is no reason to paying a price you WILL pay otherwise....
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken
cccc

Post by cccc »

So Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell and Sony in no specific order may be the ones to look at?

The higher end of the lineup across the board I take it?
Do they come with a Windows disc or do you have to buy that separately?

How about if I can convince them to get a Mac, what will they need in addition to be able to run this "windows vista only" program?

Maybe I can even give her my MBP(2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2GB of RAM), will that work for something like what she needs?
Will it be too slow/sluggish? That might be an ideal solution, that way I can get myself a new machine, and still be able to help them if something goes awry down the road...hmm...

And no Max, she's my childhood friends wife, we are close like siblings, hence my help and involvement, though I intend to limit my exposure against the potential "you said get that one now you have to help fix it" that is unless my Mac can do the job...
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
rtwdwk

Post by rtwdwk »

I dont know how well Vista or Win 7 runs.
I still have to run XP Pro as that is still the corp standard, I run it on my macbook pro.

As to how PC's ship these day, the Tosiba I just did, did not ship with any recovery disks. You have to make your own image DVD's with the windows installs. Not sure if everyone is doing it this way now, but it was a pain in the ass.
cccc

Post by cccc »

I am going to see if anyone I know has a "Boot Camp" disk right now, and try to install that tomorrow am.
Then pick up a windows disk somewhere. Best Buy maybe?

If I can get all that to work maybe I'll be shopping for a new laptop for me instead :D
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
davester

Post by davester »

Three things:

1. I would also recommend a macbook pro. I think PC magazine rated it as the best windows computer a while back. No, windows is not running in emulation...it runs natively on the macbook. Yes, it will cost more, but if cost is the major issue, then just have her buy a POS from Best Buy.

2. Forget about the stillborn Vista. You need to get Windows 7. I don't think Microsoft still sells Vista anyway. Any program created for Vista should run in Windows 7.

3. What Max said about banging her is correct. You don't want to go down this Windows road of hurt without tangible benefits. How could you even think of asking this question at Appleswitcher without being quizzed on your carnal relations with the reason for the thread topic?
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. Benjamin Disraeli, 1845
davester

Post by davester »

cccc wrote:I am going to see if anyone I know has a "Boot Camp" disk right now, and try to install that tomorrow am.
Boot camp disk? Isn't boot camp part of mac OS?
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. Benjamin Disraeli, 1845
modelamac

Post by modelamac »

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Bootcamp partition on a 2009 mini 2 GHZ with 8 GB RAM. It runs very nicely when used as the startup drive. Windows 7 can use the Printer, the webcam, stream video, sees the USB adapter for faxing.

I also have VMware Fusion 3.x on the Mac side, and can use it to run the bootcamp Windows . It's a bit slower, but still very usable.

The reason for the 8GB of RAM is not for Windows but for rendering DVDs of home/family movies (4 kids' camcorders plus mine recording 10 grandkids activities keeps me busy). iDVD is a RAM hog, and the mini slows to a crawl within minutes of starting the render process with only 2GB RAM. It took about 1/2 hour to slow down with 4 GB, and doesn't know iDVD is running with 8GB.

My Point: A refurb MB or MBP (1066 bus) with 4 GB RAM and a 200+ GB hard drive would work. You could split the HD with Bootcamp, purchase and install Windows 7 (Home Premium version or better - she will need to network in the office) and have the best of both worlds.

At the time I installed W7, Bootcamp gave me choices of XP or Vista. I said I'll choose Vista, put in the W7 disk and it was installed.

Hope this helps.
Ed (modelamac)
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Ignore the ridiculous comments regarding your friend. If you had not listed gender, no one would have asked the same questions.

Bootcamp is a part of the OS. The disc made during setup is for Windows drivers
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

I would not get a Sony laptop.
cccc

Post by cccc »

Oh, I am all over this MBP idea, no way she'll turn that down! Free computer, all setup.

BTW Only "boot camp" I knew of up until now, was the one where some knucklehead showed us how to take guns apart,
blow things up and to top it off, thought that yelling was the same as leadership. :lol:

I guess I could/should have googled first :oops:

So all I need to buy is a version of Windows (preferably whatever version her software req's were... right?).
And this here "Boot Camp" is already either installed on my system or it's on my os 10.6 disc somewhere?
All I need to do is figure out where and how it works, right?

Thank you for the help guys
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Comandante Batuta wrote:With Lenovo, there is the risk of delivery delays...
No kidding. Buy a prebuilt Lenovo from a retails shop if they have the price and model you want, do not order from Lenovo unless you have a month to wait.

Nathan
Pops

Post by Pops »

cccc wrote:So Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell and Sony in no specific order may be the ones to look at?
Pretty much, yes, according to my son who is also job bound to a PC at work. I think the Dell packages come in all flavors, with different versions of OS and priced accordingly. She might be wise to ask her colleagues about which OS to use.
"Are you more amazed at how things changed
Or how they stayed the same"

"75 Septembers', by Cheryl Wheeler
sung by Peter, Paul & Mary
cccc

Post by cccc »

My assistance with this will be put on hold for the week,
I have the wilderness of NY's RV campgrounds on my to-do list :mrgreen:

Hope it actually gets better than that.
Btw thx for all the tips from all of you.
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
$tevie

Post by $tevie »

My college buys Dell laptops for the PC users and everyone seems perfectly happy with them. They eventually get old and out of date but other than that they seem to be able to handle quite well the sort of treatment they get from idiot VPs and such. NOT that I mean your friend is an idiot, I mean it speaks to their hardiness. Dell has a section of refurbs that is worth checking out.
“We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~Thomas Jefferson
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

I mostly buy Dells for my clients. But some have preferred HP (I don't think that would be my preference), Toshiba, and Apple as well.

If Lenovo didn't fail at shipping, I would use them more.

Nathan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic