Small LCD TV questions

silvarios

Small LCD TV questions

Post by silvarios »

My mom wants a new TV. A smaller bedroom model. I'm keeping an eye out for recent deals on 22"-26" LCD TVs.

My findings thus far:
  • 720p is common. No surprise.
  • 1080p is also fairly common, but small TVs with 1080p tend to have poor viewing angles (TN panels?).
  • The price difference between a quality panel 720p set in the 22"-26" range is smaller than expected when compared to good panel, but budget (as in basic features and 60Hz refresh rate) 1080p 32" TVs.
  • The idea of the premium (either in panel or feature set) small TV is not a popular one among manufacturers. Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and maybe Toshiba (can't find viewing angle specs on Toshiba models, so that's why they get the maybe qualifier) are on the shortlist that cater to the smaller TV crowd.
Based on my research, the Sony KDL-22EX308 has floated to the top of my list. Sony Style can ship this TV to me for $318. 720p 22" set with 176/176 viewing angles. Includes a WiFi adapter for connecting to LAN or Internet content. Netflix being the point of interest for the latter.

Does this Sony have enough features to justify a premium over similar sized 720p and 1080p TVs? I think so based on the viewing angle and WiFi adapter, but if anyone else has a nose for a good TV in the 22"-26" range for less than $350, please feel free to share.

Nathan
rtwdwk

Re: Small LCD TV questions

Post by rtwdwk »

I did a 720p 26" panasonic for the BR. Costco, forgot what I paid, but was was decent.
Keep the 1080 to the main viewing TV. Depending on the distance, dont go any smaller that a 26"
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Which model Panasonic?

Good advice. I think the foot of my mom's bed is a couple feet away from the TV, which should make the top of the bed about 8 feet away. 26" is probably better, but her old TV was 19" LCD and I am guessing my mom spends more time listening to her bedroom TV while doing chores or getting ready for work than actually watching the set.

Hmmm. Maybe the viewing angle doesn't really matter after all. She will be mostly in front of the TV when she is actually watching something and only listening to it when at a more severe angle.

Yet, I think the WiFi adapter on the Sony EX308 will prove useful in supplementing my mom's somewhat iffy ATSC reception in her bedroom. My mom only has one cable outlet in her house and doesn't really care to pay for another to be installed. Nor is she a fan of installing an outdoor antenna. Hmmm. More research to perform on exactly what content the Sony EX308 is able to access. Besides Amazon and Netflix anyway.

Nathan
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

22EX308 is backordered. Well then. Guess I'll have to tell my mother to wait anyway.
WOOF

Post by WOOF »

40 inches, enjoy the experience.
max

Post by max »

Screw the common wisdom, 720, I made that mistake before.
If you can afford it, and you should, it is your mom, the woman who gave you life, go for 1080p.
I was looking for a small one for my study. I have a small opening to fit in, I do not remember, 28, 30 or 32". My old was 17".
Looked at them on Costco, they are pushing Vizio, which was not bad, but they had a Phillips for couple bucks more and it was gorgeous.
After 3 months watching it, I am convinced I made the right decision...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

WOOF,
Wow, that's a bit too big. My mom didn't give many details, but one was "Nathan, why would I need a big TV for the bedroom?" That was her answer after I asked if a nice 32" panel would work.
Spock

Post by Spock »

silvarios wrote:WOOF,
Wow, that's a bit too big. My mom didn't give many details, but one was "Nathan, why would I need a big TV for the bedroom?" That was her answer after I asked if a nice 32" panel would work.
Point out that a 32" Widescreen flat panel isn't as big as it sounds compared to a CRT.

Take her to Costco/WorseBuy and stand her in front of a 32" at the correct viewing distance for her bedroom and see what she thinks. When she sees all the other 50" & 60" models, a 32" won't seem so big.
The gun lobby is broadly responsible for these killings, but regular mass killings of innocent people is the price we pay for the liberty to own whatever guns we want, in order to be protected from a phantom threat we cannot name.
max

Post by max »

Spock wrote:
silvarios wrote:WOOF,
Point out that a 32" Widescreen flat panel isn't as big as it sounds compared to a CRT.

Take her to Costco/WorseBuy and stand her in front of a 32" at the correct viewing distance for her bedroom and see what she thinks. When she sees all the other 50" & 60" models, a 32" won't seem so big.
Absolutely....
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Believe me. I suggested a 32" 1080p panel. My mom asked if she needed 1080p to watch the news and the occasional sporting event. And the answer was no. Her main TV is the 32" Sony XBR9 1080p panel we picked up for her during the holidays. She generally watches it for DVDs, sports, etc.

My mother is rather particular about things. It is pretty clear to me that she will not switch her bedroom furniture around to fit anything bigger than a 26" panel.

This whole TV search came around because I made a casual comment about replacing my daughter's complicated monitor, external speaker, video adapter setup with a small LCD TV. My mom was so excited by this prospect, she suggested we take her existing 19" LCD TV and then I could help mother find a slightly bigger, better quality replacement.
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Oh, thanks for the suggesions anyway. I really do appreciate them.
WOOF

Post by WOOF »

silvarios wrote: "Nathan, why would I need a big TV for the bedroom?"
Moms make do for us.
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Yeah. That's why I was willing to grab a nice smaller Panasonic or Sony 720p set. Less res, better panels. I would consider Samsung more if they would bother posting their viewing angles on their nice 720p TVs.

Nathan
rtwdwk

Post by rtwdwk »

My pany is the
TC26LE55

probably not made any longer,
I would go with a 720p Samsung
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

The 22ex308 was out of stock on Sony so I went with buy.com via their Amazon presence.

Decent little TV. Viewing angles are much better than my mom's old 19" TN panel HDTV. Netflix works surprisingly well. Set up is a little funky. You have to register with Sony (or Sony does a good job making you think you have to anyway) and then activate with Neflix. The Wii Netflix interface is still the best I've experienced, followed by the Roku HD, with the 22ex308 bringing up the rear. The Sony is still usable, but here's a great example, want to move to the bottom of the queue? You have to navigate all the way to the bottom, no moving backwards in the queue. Another example, if you enter into a series, when you exit back to the main queue, you are warped all the way to the beginning of your queue, but only with a TV series. Exiting out of a movie selection takes you to the same spot in the queue.

Not a bad TV at all. In fact, my mom liked it so much, I went ahead and bought one for my daughter. Dell Home had the model on sell for $300. $200 Dell Home certificate from my AMEX rewards knocked the price down to $100 plus tax (free shipping). Worth every penny. iPod nano, YouTube (check out the Studio Ghibli Level 5 RPG trailers or the Fragile Dream trailers, my daughter loves them, as do I), Netflix, and the two OTA kids stations are all present.

Nathan
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

There isn't much competition in the small HDTV space. Not when it comes to models with good viewing angles. The only other option right now is the Vizio M220NV. 22", 1080p, 802.11n WiFi with Vizio Internet Apps (including Netflix), 178/178 viewing angle, LED edge-lit. Amazon has the M220NV for $329.99. Free shipping and maybe no sales tax (depends on the state). Target has them in store. Normally $360, but I think I've seen them as low as $320, can't remember, but the current Target online price is $330.

I don't think the Vizio was shipping yet when I bought my mom's Sony and when I later bought my daughter the same TV, the Vizio was still at list price -- $360. $330 from Amazon is compelling, especially now that I had a look at the Vizio M220NV in person, courtesy of a Target display model. For a little TV, the Vizio is pretty nice. Unfortunately, there was no way to test the Vizio Internet Apps. Would be curious to know how well they work, particularly Netflix.

Nathan
Steve G

Post by Steve G »

Come on, Mom really wants a 55" Samsung 3D model. Tell her the bulges on athletes are even more vivid than ever.
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

55" may not be 72", but it is still pretty big. Small these days is 19"-26". Which is amazingly huge. I still think 32" is a huge set. My biggest TV is 23". I find smaller TVs in each room, works much nicer than a really big TV in one room.
Jimbo-C

Post by Jimbo-C »

You should hire actors to come in a do liver performances for her, just saying...
I'll look at it. Smoked a joint. Can't right now
-Matt
silvarios

Post by silvarios »

Are you my mother? That is exactly the sort of request she would make, but still insist, "Oh Nathan, I don't care, you know me, I'm not terribly picky about these things."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic