magsafe power adapter

Mac and iPod Support for Mac OS X, Mac software, hardware, iTunes, and related peripherals.
Sandals >>> Amazon Link - You're OK, I'm OK. Sandals are OK. <<<
Pops

magsafe power adapter

Post by Pops »

Mrs. Pops pinched the cord of her power adapter (A1344 for 2011 13" Macbook Pro). Do those things wear out with use? I can get used ones cheap on eBay and don't really want to spring for a new one.
"Are you more amazed at how things changed
Or how they stayed the same"

"75 Septembers', by Cheryl Wheeler
sung by Peter, Paul & Mary

modelamac

Re: magsafe power adapter

Post by modelamac »

My family has 3 MB/mbps, the oldest being a 2006. Have never had a problem with the cords.

On the other hand, have had ro replace 2 cord on hand-held Apple products (4 units) oldest is 3 years old.
Ed (modelamac)

cccc

Post by cccc »

They sure do, in particular the thin wire going from the power brick to the laptop, and specifically the part by the mag connector. The L shape connectors are a tad better than the T ones, but still, Apple has designed those cables too flimsy!

I have bought used adapters and they have worked as well as new ones, again it's really the thin cable part that gets kinked/bent and ultimately "breaks" and it's kind of deceiving because the cable can be broken on the inside of the plastic with little to no visual notice to you. But if you notice the little light on the connector not being on when you connect the mag part to the computer, you really need little more notice that the wire is probably broken in some spot, sure you can jiggle the mag connector (which in turn also moves the wires inside the cable, and get the thing to light up, but guess what...if you have to do that the cable is more than likely broken.

Apple does run sales on the adapter every so often (of course probably not when you need one) otherwise look on Craigslist, I've bought used ones from a guy up here who buys old computers and then part them out, and they have worked just fine.
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -

Pops

Post by Pops »

cccc wrote:They sure do, in particular the thin wire going from the power brick to the laptop...
It didn't break/burn at the pressure relief point. She pinched the cord in the middle on some furniture. I bought a used one on eBay for $22 or thereabouts. I was more interested if the brick itself burned out. I've had no problem (other than this mechanical break) with the two we have.

Thanks.
"Are you more amazed at how things changed
Or how they stayed the same"

"75 Septembers', by Cheryl Wheeler
sung by Peter, Paul & Mary

Jimbo-C

Post by Jimbo-C »

I've never had problems with the magsafes and I really like them.
I'll look at it. Smoked a joint. Can't right now
-Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I bought two about six months ago on eBay.

Look for my posts about it in the General forum.
I'm abrasive.

>>> Amazon Link <<<

Otto Boners

Post by Otto Boners »

Last time I was in Japanese I bought a knock-off which was ten times stronger than the Apple one. Heavily reinforced by the magnet.

max

Post by max »

Bought two of the same on eBay, better than OEM....
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic