MS Excel 2013 - Windows Vs Mac

Karlos

MS Excel 2013 - Windows Vs Mac

Post by Karlos »

Is anyone here a power user of Microsoft Excel, and is aware of the differences between the Mac and PC versions?

It has been some years since I used Excel, but now need to write an extensive spread-sheet with Micros and VBA included. I'd rather buy the Mac version of MS Office 2013 but am worried it might lack some of the functionality of the PC version, so am currently leaning towards purchasing the PC version and running it in Parallels on my Mac, which will mean I'll have to suffer the cost of upgrading my XP virtual machine to at least Window 7 to run Office 2013.

I'd much rather the Mac version, but don't want my Excel sheets to lack anything that might be required by a PC user who opens it.

Anyone know if, or what the Mac version of MS Excel 2013 lacks in the MS Office 2013 package?

In Christ Jesus, Karl.
cccc

Re: MS Excel 2013 - Windows Vs Mac

Post by cccc »

I am no "expert" on Excel, but I sure use it more than I care to admit, however I think you have your facts a bit mixed up there Carlos, As far as I know there is no Office 2013 for Mac.
Office for Mac comes in a "Office 2011" version and the latest "Office 365" (the one they are trying to "sell" us as a subscription for between $5~$10 a month depending on number of users/machines you want to install it on, I think those were the prices here in the states)

That said, rather than concerning yourself with what can be done on different platforms why don't you focus on exactly what functionality is it that you need and then determine which platform you need to use. What is it that you need be able to achieve with this spreadsheet? Sure Office is a solid product but are you sure you need to pay Microsoft at all, or can you get the same job done with one of the other readily available options?
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

cccc wrote:I am no "expert" on Excel, but....
Hi cccc.
Thanks for the comment, and yes you are right .... the Mac version is only 2011 and the PC up to 2013.

I need to build a comprehensive spreadsheet, and if I build it using my MS Office 2000 (vis Crossover or Parallels) only to discover later that there is a new function, ability or whatever in newer versions that would have either made writing it so much easier, or offered functions that would have made the sheet so much more better... i'll be kicking myself.

Searching through forums some mention that Office for Mac is missing things that are in the PC version, and that it is slow and crashes. I'm a bit rusty but I know I'll certainly need to record some macros and recall that I used to use VBA allot, which once my memory is bumped probably will do again. Thus I was trying to find-out if there were any here who might have experience with both, a long shot but I had to try.

Interestingly I have just discovered that the Windows version of Office 2007 will run via Crossover, which is great as I hate booting-up Parallels.
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=1911

Still, again it is at at least seven years old. The person I am writing the sheet for will be running it in MS Excel 2013.

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Office 2007 is the last version of Office before the ribbon nonsense. I'd stick with that in virtualization myself, for maximum productivity and compatibility.

Post by 5150 »

I'd go for Office 2010 on the Windows side, 64bit if you need to work with big data sets in Excel. It's more refined than 2007 and the interface doesn't have the awful Metro look of 2013.
N-OS X-tasy!

Post by N-OS X-tasy! »

5150 wrote:I'd go for Office 2010 on the Windows side, 64bit if you need to work with big data sets in Excel. It's more refined than 2007 and the interface doesn't have the awful Metro look of 2013.
I agree with this. The Metro look in Office 2013 sucks donkey dick. I've also found it to be the buggiest version of Office in many years.
The intel on this wasn’t 100%. ~ Edgar Maddison Welch
N-OS X-tasy!

Post by N-OS X-tasy! »

Let me reiterate: Office 2013 for Windows is a big, steaming pile of shit. My Outlook has crashed twice in the last five minutes for no good reason, as far as I can tell.
The intel on this wasn’t 100%. ~ Edgar Maddison Welch
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

As it was being purchased by another for me to build the sheet, I went for 2013 which I ran via Parallels on my Mac.

First I purchase Windows 7 off eBay to run through Parallels, bad idea as after a month I got a nag message stating...
"you might have purchased pirated software, if you want updates etc... you need to purchase the version from Microsoft".
It still works but I can't update and the desktop has gone black.

Anyway, once I'd installed the PC version on Window 7 via Parallels I was as some have mentioned, presented with the new Excel layout which took as long to fathom as actually writing the sheet. I'm glad that I went with the PC version in the end as it was essential that could used drop-down list under 'validation' which I believe [correct me if i'm wrong' isn't supported in the Mac version. Additionally I had to record and run macros which I attached to buttons.

Changing the subject, for some reason AS isn't notifying me via emails of replies to my questions... do I need to tick some boxes or something in preferences?

In Christ Jesus, Karlos.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic