Apple’s OS X Yosemite Breaks Third-Party SSD Support

Mac and iPod Support for Mac OS X, Mac software, hardware, iTunes, and related peripherals.
Sandals >>> Amazon Link - You're OK, I'm OK. Sandals are OK. <<<
sonic

Apple’s OS X Yosemite Breaks Third-Party SSD Support

Post by sonic »

cccc

Re: Apple’s OS X Yosemite Breaks Third-Party SSD Support

Post by cccc »

Ahmm..I'm posting this from an MBP with a Samsung SSD's as the boot drive, running the latest Yosemite OS...long way around of saying that that "article" (at least the first few lines which is all I managed to read, as my threshold for bs is low) is incorrect.

If you upgraded your Mac, or maybe even built your own hackintosh, and added a third-party solid state drive (SSD), you were no doubt in for a shock after trying to update OS X Yosemite to find that your computer wouldn’t mount it. That’s because Apple has chosen, and I do mean CHOSEN, to break support for third party SSDs. What the hell, Cupertino?!

(Note I neither used a sledgehammer nor any "hacking" to achieve this to that writer unachieavable result, simply went into the APP store and chose upgrade, and voila !)
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -

cccc

Post by cccc »

from the first articles claims...
Apple doesn’t allow third-party Trim software to do it’s thing and won’t even load the SSD drivers to see the drive. Bad form, Cupertino.
Trim support being disabled and the Mac not being able to boot from a 3rd party SSD drive are two entirely different things my friend.

Upon the occasional reboot I do get the "trim support not enabled message"...and guess what...i choose the "IGNORE" button :twisted: external backups are highly suggested for many reasons, this scenario being just one. :mrgreen:
But in all honesty, the performance impact from having an SSD vs not is significant, even buying a 3rd party drive over Apples drives is still worth it (I contend)

The only thing I should have done is to also install the OS on my internal HD for when/if Apple decides to totally fuck this up. But so far my Mac boots from and "sees" the SSD just as it did before I upgraded to 10.10, others can do I they see fit.

I still contend that the writer of that article is incorrect and misrepresenting the facts.
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -

modelamac

Post by modelamac »

cccc,

I agree with you. I have a 3rd party SSD (sand force) in both my mini and my MBP, and have had no messages or any problems updating or running in daily use. Both drives are internal.
cccc wrote:from the first articles claims...
Apple doesn’t allow third-party Trim software to do it’s thing and won’t even load the SSD drivers to see the drive. Bad form, Cupertino.
Trim support being disabled and the Mac not being able to boot from a 3rd party SSD drive are two entirely different things my friend.

Upon the occasional reboot I do get the "trim support not enabled message"...and guess what...i choose the "IGNORE" button :twisted: external backups are highly suggested for many reasons, this scenario being just one. :mrgreen:
But in all honesty, the performance impact from having an SSD vs not is significant, even buying a 3rd party drive over Apples drives is still worth it (I contend)

The only thing I should have done is to also install the OS on my internal HD for when/if Apple decides to totally fuck this up. But so far my Mac boots from and "sees" the SSD just as it did before I upgraded to 10.10, others can do I they see fit.

I still contend that the writer of that article is incorrect and misrepresenting the facts.
Ed (modelamac)

Jimbo-C

Post by Jimbo-C »

I had a piece of cheddar once...
I'll look at it. Smoked a joint. Can't right now
-Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic