installing an Ethernet spine...

Mac and iPod Support for Mac OS X, Mac software, hardware, iTunes, and related peripherals.
Sandals >>> Amazon Link - You're OK, I'm OK. Sandals are OK. <<<
max

installing an Ethernet spine...

Post by max »

I am trying to extend some Ethernet runs through a U shaped warehouse. Please advise if the concept is right, pitfalls etc
The first leg is about 200ft, then a drop into a new production office switch, from there the next leg will be 300-350ft to another switch.
I can use couple more switches on this stretch as part of the project is to add some ethernet based security cameras in that area sooner or later.
The another 200ft on other side of the U

OR should all video cameras run on a separate, dedicated ethernet network?.

Right now we have a server connected to a broadband router, which again is connected to a 24 port non managed switch, wired to a patch panel, serving our offices. Each office has a 4 port or an 8 port gigaswitch as needed.
Should I boost the ethernet signal anywhere in the network?

Also i am thinking of adding some WI-Fi ponts here and there for what reason I do not know yet.....
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken

Freddd

Re: installing an Ethernet spine...

Post by Freddd »

What kind of data goes over the network currently? At one location I managed we realized some staff had gotten hold of the WiFI key and were running music streaming and Netflix sucking up an already clogged network. I ask because it might be helpful to keep the cameras on its own wires. I love drops because they tend to be hassle free, wifi can be a pain to manage.

max

Re: installing an Ethernet spine...

Post by max »

Freddd wrote:What kind of data goes over the network currently? At one location I managed we realized some staff had gotten hold of the WiFI key and were running music streaming and Netflix sucking up an already clogged network. I ask because it might be helpful to keep the cameras on its own wires. I love drops because they tend to be hassle free, wifi can be a pain to manage.
That is actually a very good point, in fact I have noticed on quite a few desktops some music running in the backdrop...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H.L. Mencken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic