Register OSX on Secondhand Macbook Air.

Karlos

Register OSX on Secondhand Macbook Air.

Post by Karlos »

Hi...
I recently purchased a secondhand 2011 13" Macbook air.

The machine is fantastic, but I now realize that the machine hadn't been reset when I got it. I installed all of my Apps just fine and registered it via iTines to my Apple account. I updated a few apps immediately but the problem was realized about a week later when an OSX update wouldn't update, it didn't take long until I realized that the OS [El Capitain] was registered to the old owner and thus wasn't registered to my Apple account.

What is the best way of resolving this issue?
My Apple account shows that I own and can download Snow Leopard, Mavericks and Yosemite, one of which is on my Macbook Pro. But I believe you can have any apps on more than one Mac at the same address including the OS?

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll have to 'back up to time machine' and possibly clone my drive. Thereafter wipe my drive and install one of the OSX systems downloaded from the App Store connected to my account, then do a restore from Time Machine or the clone.

Is that the best solution or is there an easier way. The current OS is working just fine except for the issue of not being able to install new security updates.

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
modelamac

Re: Register OSX on Secondhand Macbook Air.

Post by modelamac »

Do you have another Mac that you can use to connect to the Air (when it is in Target mode)? They both need FW800 or Thunderbolt capability. You can then download El Cap on the other Mac and install it on the Air, because the Air is just an external hard drive at that point.
Ed (modelamac)
Karlos

Re: Register OSX on Secondhand Macbook Air.

Post by Karlos »

Hi Modelamac.

I have a Macbook Pro with a dead screen that I use as a desktop with an external monitor... that has a FW800 port but I think the Macbook Pro will try to use its own monitor when installing an OS? But hey I can use my friends iMac with thunderbolt... just remembered that.

So I connect my Macbook Air in target mode to my friends iMac using thunderbolt, use a image of say Yosemite downloaded from my account on the App Store and install it to my Macbook Air attached viaTarget Mode. A few Questions...

• As my account at the App Store only goes up to Yosemite, will Yosemite install over my Macbook Air's El Capitan? If not, I guess I'll have to wipe the MBA with Disk Utilities then install Yosemite, thereafter to upgrade to El Capitan.
• If somehow I can get hold of El Capitan install [not sure how], will it install over the previous version of El Capitan and leave my files intact, or will I still need to wipe the drive then backup from Time Machine.

# One last thing, I do have an external drive I attach to my Macbook Air via a USB 3.0 to SATA cable. Maybe I could install Yosemite on that with my Macbook Air, boot from it and log into my Apple account, upgrade to El Capitan then restore from ~Time Machine or the Macbook Air's internal HD before cloning the whole thing over to the Macbook Air's internal drive.

Too many options... just not sure which is best and which is easiest. I'd hoped somehow I could register this OS to my Apple account but can't see away to do it. Event hough I have registered this Mac to my Apple Account, would it change the OS ownership if I contacted the original owner and asked him to deregister the MBA from his Apple account if he hasn't already?

Appreciated, in Christ Jesus, Karl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic