Waking a Cinema Display attached to a running G4 Mac Mini

Karlos

Waking a Cinema Display attached to a running G4 Mac Mini

Post by Karlos »

Hi all.
I was recently given a G4 Mac Mini [PowerMac10,1 - 2005-2006] with an accompanying 20" Apple Cinema Display.

Having a Macbook Air as my main computer and a Macbook Pro with a broken screen I use as a desktop [attached to an external monitor] I had no intention of using it on a day to day basis until that is, I decided to use it as a File Sharing / storage Server. It is working great though I do need to upgrade the IDE Hard Drive from 80GB to something much bigger.

However, where it runs is not convenient to attach a monitor continuously, so I just set it up pulled the monitor, keyboard, and mouse and let it run which was fine until I needed to access the unit for maintenance etc, on this occasion, to pull about 30GB of files onto to an external FW400 drive in a hurry.

The issue was that although the Mac Mini was running and the screen powered, the screen wouldn't 'wake?' but merely displayed a tiny white light in the chassis informing me it was powered. I turned the screen on and off a few times, moved the mouse and tapped a few keys being directly attached to the Mini via USB but it refused to light-up and display me the desktop though I knew the Mini was up and running. [Still accessing as a File server]

I resolved myself to holding-down the power button on the back of the Mini until it quit and then powered the unit up again and the display came on as expected.

So my question is... does anyone know how to trigger the Cinema Display to display the desktop / turn fully on... without having to go through the boot-up process?

If I can't resolve this I shall have to consider trying to access the unit through some type of 'remote access' which I would like to do anyway, but not sure if the current OS [10.4] or the [10.5 (Max for this unit)] I hope to soon upgrade to will allow that.

I need Leopard as I want it's Time Machine to back-up to an external hard drive attached via a double USB 2 [both deliver enough power to power it] to SATA cable.

Once I sort these issues out, I can just let it run 24/7 and if it fails I still have it all backed-up and without any extra wires and power blocks.

1) - So... how do I wake the Cinema Display without pulling the power [Risky] and forcing a reboot.
2) - Can I 'remote Access' a late Mac Mini from my MBA and MBP

MacMini [PowerMac10,1]
1.42 Ghz
1GB RAM
OS X [10.4.11] soon to upgrade to Leopard [OSX 10.5]

MBP [2010]
El Capitan

MBA [2011]
El Capitan

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
Karlos

Re: Waking a Cinema Display attached to a running G4 Mac Mini

Post by Karlos »

Just to let you know... I installed 'Chicken of the VNC' and have total wireless control of my Mac Mini G4 [2005] via either my MBP or MBA, its great. And if I do need to attach the screen which only 'seems' to light-up during boot-up, I can use 'Chicken of the VNC' to close down the MM properly before rebooting with it attached.

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

:D
I'm abrasive.

>>> Amazon Link <<<
cccc

Post by cccc »

...'Chicken of the VNC' ...around here we refer to Steve G as the turkey of the internet, not sure how the two are related though.
"Everything has been figured out, except how to live."
- Jean-Paul Sartre -
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

cccc wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:48 pm ...'Chicken of the VNC' ...around here we refer to Steve G as the turkey of the internet, not sure how the two are related though.
I've just discovered that 'Chicken of the VNC' isn't being supported anymore, but a group has taken it over and renamed their version just "Chicken".
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chicken/

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

For no apparent reason, the Display now lights-up when attached... haven't a clue why but I'm not complaining.

God bless.
In Christ Jesus, Karl.
cunty_baws

Post by cunty_baws »

God bless.
In Khrist Jezuz, Kunty.
\i/ oo

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic